Do Affirmations Help Anyone?

Recently, I watched an affirmation video that really stirred something inside of me. Way down deep in my heart, I suddenly felt like crying. It helped me start the day off right and made me feel clean inside as the tears washed themselves out of me. The video was on YouTube and was based on 'The secret' by Rhonda Byrne. Lots of people have read this, unfortunately, I am only just making my way through the book as a result of this wonderful video.

After watching the video, I scrolled down through all the comments that people had made, expecting to be inspired by other people's reactions to it when suddenly, I come across a comment which stopped me slightly in my tracks. It stated that it was pointless watching this video and saying affirmations as that did nothing for the world. I found it to be a pretty cynical way of looking at things so I have decided to write an article about it.

How do affirmations help?

1. It makes us feel better - Shallow, I know but it still is true. Now, we live in a world where atrocities happen on a daily basis, life can be very tough for a lot of people. In some third world countries, there is no respite from the sense of despair that overcomes people. I know because I have lived there. Would it make me feel any better to know that people in the developed countries were feeling down too? Nope, I did not spare you all a second thought so it made no difference to me whether you said affirmations or not!

2. It makes them feel better too - Again, it works on the side of people truly suffering in a physical manner. Without hope, people do not keep going day after day after day. The hope that things will improve is what helps people survive even in the most dreadful situations. They do not call them affirmations but that is what it is. Religion thrives in some countries because people are searching for hope.

3. Happy people help - The other thing of which I am certain, is that depressed people definitely do not help anyone. They get swallowed up in their own despair and then they are unable to see anyone else's needs but their own. I have no doubt that people who actually, tangibly help the poor and broken of the world are people who feel they are capable of giving. They are people who feel at least a bit positive about themselves. The ones that make the most difference are those who have an accurate picture of themselves, not deflated or inflated. They get on with it without being stifled by their own concerns.

I agree with the comment maker on one point only, affirmations do not change the world on their own. No doubt about that! However, I know definitely that affirmed people do help, they are able to give from their huge stores of positivity. Maybe a lot of people do not do it obviously but there are needy people everywhere, not just in Africa!

Let us all be people who are available to help those around us, even as we affirm ourselves each day!

Nonny Knight is passionate about inspiring women.

To see the video mentioned above, visit http://mum-in-business.com/a-great-start-to-the-day/


Original article

No comments: